This past weekend was our first weekend of no basketball in about 5 months, even through the holidays! With our party size family though it doesn't mean we slow down, just that our attention turns elsewhere. After 5 months of focus on the boys it was time for Makela to get a little of the spotlight as her middle school band participated in the Indiana Music Educators Association non-competitive music festival. It was the first time she had been to an event like this with a performance, adjudicating, and workshop components. To be honest the whole thing was a sort of reminder of days gone by from when Marcy and I were kids doing the same types of music festivals. It's strange to watch your kids going through the experiences you still have many great memories of yourself.
Anyways, I have heard Makela's band perform before but I was absolutely blown away. These sixth graders were awesome! I was so proud of them all, but especially Makela. Both her band teachers have done a great job of building camaraderie within the group and Makela genuinely enjoys her role as part of something much bigger. "We're like a big family!" is how Makela describes her experience in band. (Big shout out to Mrs. Pote and Mrs. Allen for the positive impact on Makela and the other kids) Clay Middle School has some serious musical talent in their building. It will be fun to watch these kids grow as musicians in the years to come. As great as they seem today, I can only imagine how wonderful they will sound in a few years.
With all the focus on sports in our house, it's nice to have someone interested in the performing arts to help balance it all out. I'm so proud of Makela and how well she and her other family did Saturday.

Yeah Makela! Good choice on the instrument too! Hope we can catch a concert in October! Luv U! Grammy
ReplyDelete