My ramblings about my daily attempt to move forward in my profession and my personal pursuit of God's plan for me. Always striving to be better: a better husband, a better father, a better leader, a better employee, a better me.
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Countdown to Ghana: I'll Serve
Growing up, I had always associated the label of missionary with people who were living in other countries teaching others about Christianity. I don't remember our church doing short term mission trips (perhaps they did), but I do remember the church and my parents talking about missionaries and the work they were doing in other countries. My assumptions were that these were very spiritually and biblically wise people called to serve God in a very sacrificial way - apart from the 'comforts of life in America.'
My definition of a missionary has changed over the years, and perhaps most significantly this past year. What I have come to learn over the past several months is that I am a missionary. I don't see myself as the most knowledgable in biblical matters and there are certainly much more spiritual people than myself - but I am growing! I am not a missionary in the sense that I have been called to live someplace different to serve God - which my wife may be thankful for - but I am a missionary in the sense that my heart is ready and willing to serve God - period. I think that's what is key to being a missionary, being will to say - and follow with action - "I'll serve," regardless of biblical or theological prowess. Sometimes the obedience that goes with "I'll serve" means a move across the world. Other times it means a short trip to Africa, and still other times it means focusing on loving and serving those in your immediate circle of influence. We're all intended to be missionaries in some sense.
As I embrace my own identity as a missionary, especially for these next couple weeks, it's my prayer that I will serve with a joyful and thankful heart the people of Ghana, as well as my other team members on the trip. I pray that God will give me the ears to truly listen to the stories of the people I meet, the words to share my own, and the physical strength to help in any way I can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so excited for you!
ReplyDelete