We headed out very early this morning for our trip to Haiti with Kids Against Hunger. I have had the opportunity to spend a few hours with this group of people that make up our small team and I feel very fortunate to be a part of such a great group who all share a passion for the work Kids Against Hunger is doing and a personal relationship with Jesus.
There is a lot that I am anxious about, however, as we travel today. The uncertainty about what exactly we'll be doing is testing my desire to be submissive to what plans God has in store for us and will reveal when we arrive. As I did with my trip to Ghana last year, I am determined to say YES to whatever is asked of me and enter into this experience with a desire to serve and be humbled. Also, we are arriving on the three year anniversary of the terrible earthquake that killed so many people and destroyed so much of Haiti. I wonder how this anniversary will emotionally effect the people of Haiti and if that will change or impact the way visitors will be received in the country..... I wonder if I'm over thinking things.....
Mostly I am excited to see how God is working in Haiti. At the commissioning of this team and trip earlier this week, our team leader borrowed a Celtic tradition to describe Haiti as being one of the 'thin' places on earth - A place where we are more easily able to see the Glory of God. We can get so distracted with our earthly lives: our responsibilities at work, our activities, acquiring new toys, or trying to accomplish something that these things can become barriers or part of what we unintentionally build up as a barricade between us and our Heavenly Father. As a result, we can miss out on really experiencing the relationship he desires to have with us because we are distracted by other STUFF. My perception of Haiti is that it may be a thin place because those things we Americans allow to distract us, just aren't as prevalent there as we're used to. As a result, we are able to see Him more clearly.
The challenge to us, of course, is that we do our part everyday to purposely find those thin places and remove the barriers. It's just so hard sometimes when our culture seems to encourage the barriers. I guess that's why I'm looking forward to stepping outside our culture and experiencing God in a different and new context. I'm certain there will be moments of discomfort, but I pray the thinness of Haiti will allow me to quickly find comfort wih my God.
No comments:
Post a Comment