Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Rainy Interruption to Dinner

A couple weeks ago while eating dinner, we started to watch the rain fall outside.  It was really coming down hard, but absent from this storm was the thunder and lightning we've come to associate with midwest rain storms.  Growing up in Oregon we rarely had rain storms with thunder and lightning, but the since we've lived in Indiana, we've rarely seen one without the extra excitement.


So as we watched the rain come down during dinner, it occurred to me that we may have an opportunity to take advantage of.  I dropped my fork to my plate and asked the Kyron, my only child I haven't had a play date in the rain with, if he wanted to go play outside.  He looked at me sort of funny, not sure if I was serious, but the older kids immediately yelled 'YES!'  Everyone grabbed their shoes, left their coats inside and ran outside to play, dinner could wait.


The next 30 minutes were some of the most fun we've had as a family in the past couple months. Playing tag, jumping in puddles, and just running around having fun.  I have great memories of being a kid and playing in the rain, I hope my kids will have the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment